There are many ways to make a building stand out and glazed aluminium curtain walls are a popular example. This type of architectural system is most frequently found on commercial and business properties, but can also be used to create an aesthetically pleasing facade on residential buildings too. There are many benefits to aluminium curtain walls and their strong structure and thermally efficient glazing can completely transform all types of buildings.
What Is Aluminium Curtain Walling?
Glazed aluminium curtain walls are, as the name suggests, made from lightweight aluminium and glass. This walling hangs ‘like a curtain’, meaning the aluminium and glazing are built to hang from the existing structural framework of the building. This architectural design is mostly used to create facades for shop fronts and work spaces; picture a restaurant with floor to ceiling windows or an office block with large elevations of glass – that is glazed aluminium curtain walling. While this style of building construction is frequently found in commercial buildings, high-spec new build properties also use aluminium curtain walls to create a striking exterior appearance.
Alongside aluminium and glass, curtain walls also consist of various sealing materials to ensure structural integrity. Sternfenster – a market leading fabricator based in the UK – uses concealed transoms to create seamless glass joints, resulting in a sleek finished appearance. With custom made glazed aluminium curtain walling, properties can have a truly unique exterior and a dramatic, eye-catching facade.
Benefits of Aluminum Curtain Walls
Aluminium is one of the strongest materials used in architecture today. Unlike steel structures, aluminium is surprisingly lightweight yet strong. The aluminium structure of curtain walling is stable and secure and the robust frames can easily support the large glazing panels.
Strength is just one of the many benefits of aluminium curtain walling, let’s explore some of its other advantages:
- Increased natural light – Properties and commercial buildings with aluminium walling will benefit from additional natural light. The expansive glass windows will allow exterior light to flood into the interior spaces, creating a brighter and more welcoming environment.
- Versatile – Glazed aluminium curtain walling can be tailor made to suit the needs of each individual homeowner and business. A large office block is going to require a completely different framework to someone building a luxury home, for example. By choosing Sternfenster, customers can choose from a wide range of colour choices and profile depths. Tailor made curtain walling can transform buildings and create a unique facade.
- Easy installation – Lightweight aluminium frameworks are quick and easy to install. The whole construction of aluminium walling can be finished on the outside with decorative beads. All approved Sternfenster installers are experienced in rapid, on-site installations and bring the vision of their clients to life.
- Thermally efficient – Not only is aluminium curtain walling aesthetically pleasing, it is also designed to offer exceptional thermal performance. The thermal break in the framework provides additional property insulation and energy efficient glazing can further enhance heat regulation.
- Several door options – A variety of different door designs are compatible with aluminium curtain walling. When used for luxury residential properties, popular doors installed into curtain walling include bifold doors and aluminium sliding doors.
- Additional weatherproofing – Aluminium curtain walls give properties an eye-catching appearance, but this structure also protects the existing walls of the building. With curtain walling installed, residential and commercial properties can be shielded from the natural elements. However, it is important to note that curtain walling is different from cladding and will not provide the same levels of protection and insulation.
Learn More About Sternfenster Glazed Aluminium Curtain Walls
Sternfenster is the UK’s leading trade fabricator of aluminium and uPVC windows, doors and other renovation products. Our aluminium curtain walling is designed for the everyday working environment and is custom made to match the specifications of each customer. With curtain walls installed, buildings have an iconic facade and experience the many benefits of aluminium and top-of-the range glazing.
If you are a homeowner interested in an aluminium curtain wall installation, you can use our online tools to receive a bespoke quote for your project and find an approved installer. Trade workers can get in touch to start selling Sternfenster aluminium curtain walling or outsource their fabrication. To speak to our team about glazed aluminium curtain walling, call 01522 51 25 25 or fill in our online contact form.
“A birthday is much more than an extra candle on the cake,” Sales Director Nathan Court said. “It is an opportunity to reflect on your successes ...
“We are going to be celebrating this anniversary in style,” Mike Parczuk, Sternfenster’s Managing Director, explained. “We want to encourage our ...